Why visit an orthodontist by 7?
Orthodontists can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present.
While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
An orthodontist will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Why are children being evaluated at an early age?
Early diagnosis and treatment can:
- Guide erupting teeth into a more favorable position
- Preserve space for permanent teeth
- Reduce the likelihood of fracturing protruded front teeth
If early treatment is indicated, we can:
- Guide the growth of the jaw and incoming permanent teeth
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower dental arches
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions
- Reduce the likelihood of impacted permanent teeth
- Correct thumb-sucking
- Improve/eliminate abnormal swallowing
- Improve/eliminate speech problems