Maintaining proper oral hygiene is crucial to ensuring the health of your teeth and gums during your orthodontic treatment. Braces, clear aligners, and other orthodontic appliances can make it more difficult to keep your teeth and gums clean, but with the right strategies, it’s still possible to maintain excellent oral hygiene. Keep reading to learn tips from the experts at O’Gara-Gilbert Orthodontics for maintaining oral hygiene while undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Brushing and Flossing Tips
One of the most important things you can do to maintain oral hygiene during orthodontic treatment is to brush and floss regularly. While it may take a bit more time and effort than usual, it’s critical to remove food particles and plaque from your teeth and braces or aligners.
Additionally, here are tips to ensure you get the most out of your bruising and flossing routine:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Be sure to brush after every meal or snack, as well as in the morning and at night.
- Floss at least once a day, using special floss designed for braces or aligners. Thread the floss carefully between the wire and the tooth, then floss as you normally would.
- Consider using an interdental brush or water flosser to clean hard-to-reach areas.
Avoiding Certain Foods and Beverages
Certain foods and beverages can be particularly damaging to your teeth and braces or aligners. While it’s important to maintain a healthy diet, it’s also important to be mindful of what you’re consuming during orthodontic treatment. Here are some tips:
- Avoid sticky or hard foods, such as gum, popcorn, or hard candy, which can damage your braces or aligners.
- Limit your intake of sugary or acidic foods and beverages, such as soda, juice, or candy. These can increase the risk of tooth decay and erosion, which can be exacerbated by orthodontic appliances.
Keeping Your Orthodontic Appliances Clean
In addition to brushing and flossing your teeth, it’s also important to keep your orthodontic appliances clean. Here are some tips:
- Clean your braces or aligners every day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and water. You can also use special orthodontic cleaning solutions or tablets.
- Avoid using whitening toothpaste or other abrasive products, which can damage your braces or aligners.
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking, especially if you’ve consumed sugary or acidic foods or beverages.
Regular Dental Check-Ups
Regular dental check-ups are important for maintaining good oral hygiene, especially during orthodontic treatment. Your dentist can help identify any issues that may be developing and provide guidance on how to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Here are some tips:
- Schedule regular dental check-ups every six months, or as recommended by your dentist or orthodontist.
- Be sure to let your dentist know that you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment, so they can pay extra attention to any potential issues.
Visit O’Gara-Gilbert Orthodontics in Reno, NV
In conclusion, maintaining excellent oral hygiene during orthodontic treatment is crucial for the health of your teeth and gums. At O’Gara-Gilbert Orthodontics in Reno, NV, our experts recommend brushing and flossing regularly, avoiding certain foods and beverages, keeping your orthodontic appliances clean, and scheduling regular dental check-ups. By following these tips, you can ensure that you get the best possible results.